Friday, March 25, 2005

Musings of my mind after an old friend returned home

There is proverb that says that

"The road to a friend's house is never long."
And indeed, no matter where you are, how far away you are or how hurt you are or how upset you are with a friend, the way to his heart is never really too long. It’s true that the first step to take towards his house when you are angry or upset with the person is the hardest but if you can overcome that major hurdle then it all seems so easy.

I had a similar experience this week. A long lost friendship was revived and it was amazing how we took off just where we left off. Not a word of was spoken and yet we knew just what the other had to say. It’s truly marvelous this whole essence of friendship. A true friend really does not need any explanations and that is just what I felt and established once again.

There are several friends that come into your life, some that stay for just a brief time, some that come into your lives fill it with magic and then just disappear, some that come and go intermittently and some that stay forever. In my humble opinion (or perhaps a philosophy I have borrowed over time) each of these friendships have a meaning and purpose in your life however brief or long they may last.


"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." - Anais Nin

I have truly come to value every such moment in my life when a friend has touched my heart and sometimes walked into my life just that once when everyone else deserted me. These are the ones who fill your life with a dreamlike charm and just vanish. But yet even in that fleeting moment leave an indelible mark of gratitude in your heart. And then the spirit of that friendship lingers on for eons.

Having good friends is a blessing that you don’t really acknowledge till you sometimes lose them. Sometimes there are friends who prod you when you are upset about something and you wish they would leave you alone. You don’t appreciate that love and concern they feel for you. And when they stop interfering, then you realize the pain you have caused them by your behavior. There are other times when there are friends who long to get your attention, try everything in their capacity to be there for you, but you just ignore them because they are so easy to come by. The true appreciation of whom we feel only when we are lonely with nobody to pay any special attention to us. We appreciate these gestures only when have sometimes lost them irrevocably. And when you find them once again, whenever that happens, it’s really magical, that victory you feel in your heart, that joy that overwhelms you, the tears that well up in your eyes, the distances that just disappeared.

Well, I thought I’d write this as a tribute to all those friends in my life who have touched my life in ways that I possibly can never repay. To all those people in my life who have loved me in spite of being ME, Thank you for accepting me just the way I am. To all those friends who have sought my attention but I heartlessly overlooked, Sorry, I really never meant it to come out that way. To all those people who have filled even a single moment of my life with meaning and purpose, joy and ecstasy, encouragement and confidence, pride and respect, love and affection and just unconditional friendship – A big salute from the bottom of my heart, ‘Coz I cherish every such moment.



"No love, no friendship, can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever."

http://peoplelikeme.blig.ig.com.br/imagens/friendship.gif
( A cute picture I found on the web)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vandana,

I like your writing about friends.

A refreshing different view of relationships than the wide spread "black and white" scheme.
A friend of mine used to say: There are shades of grey.

Hungry for your next episode,
Thomas