Thursday, March 31, 2005

Wild Thing, You make my heart sing!!!



We have been living in Dallas for five years now and almost all through the year the landscape around is so dull and drab. Friends and family that visit us always make it a point that they comment about this plain look that Dallas wears almost perennially.

But come spring, and there is almost an overnight transformation in the way Dallas looks. The endless boring expanse of dry and dull grass starts showing signs of lushness. And as it starts registering in your mind that, greener days are finally here, out springs a wild flower or two and suddenly all your eye can see is a never ending stretch of beautiful colors. Enter wildflower season!!! The only time in the year that Dallas wears such a gorgeous look (Of-course in my opinion).

To tell you honestly, I have never given it so much thought as much as I did today while driving to work. We have recently moved to a new home and now the journey to work is almost close to an hour. So while sitting in the car all alone waiting for the traffic jams to clear, I can’t help but glance around and find something interesting to perk up my mood. Sometimes it is fellow travelers in cars around me that intrigue me and amuse me. But today was different!!! Today I was gazing out of the window and behold !!! All at once I saw this wonderful spectacle and I was overwhelmed with rapture. You would probably never commiserate with this unexpected thrill I felt and I would not blame you. ‘Cos if you are living in Seattle or Virginia or München, you almost take the lush beauty of nature for granted. But here I was looking out of my window with such delight at the host, of beautiful wildflowers standing proudly, basking in the morning sun :)

Words fail me when I try to describe this panorama, so I quote William Wordsworth, even though he wrote these words in the honor of daffodils.

“Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.“
- William Wordsworth



I have been meaning to take a picture and post it here. But unfortunately those "kodak moments" only happen when I am travelling on the highway. But a friend of mine Gvenum recently stopped to capture this beautiful picture and as they say "A picture is worth a thousand words" :). So Kudos to Gvenum !!!






Well, if anyone wants to visit Dallas or Texas, now is the time. Enjoy the beautiful weather and perhaps if you get here in time you could join the merry making of the wildflower festival, which usually takes place sometime in mid-April.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well yeh phool wool to theek hai....I am more interested in "the fellow travellers" part
;-)..Am I missing something here??NO wonder its taking you almost an hour :-)

Nice job though!!!..You almost convinced me to believe Dallas is a beautiphool place.

dnyanada said...

hyeee vandu,
Dallas u say ia a drab place, but in mumbai it's absolutely impossible to look out of the windows while travelling in trains... i better not give the details y!!! but even in that i at times see something which keeps up my intrest it's up to us to make the journey to our destination worth cos i feel once u reach ur destination there is nothing left to do but if u have a great journey the destination become worthwhile...
take care
lotsa love
dnyanada

Vandana Sarah said...

Salman] Thanks for stopping by. It would indeed be better for you to not know the details about things you are missing :)

About looking at Dallas as a beautiful place, look through my eyes you will find everything beautiful ;)

[Chhotu] :)

[Dnyanada] Nice thought about making the journey interesting. Well in Mumbai you'll always find something to keep your interest going :)