Thursday, April 14, 2005

Fast n Furious


Have you ever street raced? I normally don’t approve of any kind of street racing and more importantly I am not the racing types at all. Especially if you take a peek into my history, I have never been the sporty kind nor have I ever participated in my races back in school. Well, I take that back … I have actually won a lemon and spoon race during my eight grade annual sports day Jee!!! I am actually proud of myself *patting myself on the back* and when I go down my memory lane further, I have a vague recollection of participating in a 100 meters dash too. Of course it must have been because my P.E. teacher must have mandated us not_so_athletic types to join in and I can almost picture “li’l moi” grudgingly acceding but of course no points for guessing what spot I must have finished at *sigh*

Well coming back to how we got into this whole turning the pages of my memory lane. Street racing … aahaa!!! How did an athletically impaired person like me get into it? It all started this morning (Allow me to digress here once again and tell you that it was indeed one fine morning and I treated myself to a café latte on the way just to perk up my mood further, and to add to it the FM station was playing my favorite song, I’ll talk about songs on the radio and my superstitions some other time). So I was in high spirits and in my own sweet n smug world so I really didn’t notice much of what was going on. I have a long drive to work (a long journey would be a more apt term) and I have several stop lights to pass.

On one such painful red, I happened to glance around and whaddya see … a buddhhe miya(i.e. an old guy, hmmm… truthfully he was not that “pre-historic” either ;)) staring back at me. Well, I’ll tell you some other time about my trysts with these old n frustrated guys(actually I do have an earlier post that describes one such encounter). Anyways I gave him a “de rigueur” smile and looked away. I could hear the noise of his Porsche accelerating on top of the loud music I was already playing. I just let it be and looked fixedly at the light hoping that the power of my mind would change it to green. And it indeed did (psychokinesis indeed!!J), I told you I was having a good day so a lot of things were working in my favor.

As I drove forward, I noticed Mr. Porsche Boxster kinda trying to keep up with me, racing ahead and then falling back. I was thinking to myself, “Hello will you stop doing that or should I just ding your expensive car” and on the other hand I was thinking “thank god its broad daylight or else this 'jawani zindabad' would have scared the living daylights out of me” and just as I was thinking that we had to stop at a light again. And Mr. Toothless glory again grinned at me with his perfect set of dentures(well I don’t think they were, I am just saying that to make my story interesting). There was a queer sort of challenging look on his face (aahaaaaa uuhhuuhhh!!! .......toothless getting ruthless!!). After a couple of lights I figured what he wanted and very strangely indeed I decided to oblige. He was throwing this mocking challenge at me and THAT I could not ignore. He was trying to race with me all along and those winning smiles on his face at every stop light were just meant to tell me he won again. I developed a weird sort of empathy for this adventurous heart of a 20 year old housed in a “roaring twenties” envelope.

I decided to give him a fight (– after all hell hath no fury like a woman scorned – what say!!) And from then on I zip zap zoomed around in my “phat phati” Nissan Altima (Chal Chal ri Chal meri Ram Pyari J) and he in his shining black Porsche Boxster. We did this for almost 20 minutes and finally parted ways, waving a big “tat ta” to each other. And guess what I won the race, in spite of having “the lesser of the two vehicles” (tried hard to come up with something that would rhyme with the original phrase). But I guess Mr. Ol’ McDonald (that’s what I named him) just let me win this race J. Aaaaahhhh!!!! The things I do to make my morning drive to work interesting!!!

When I finally got to work I pondered back and wondered, “What on earth prompted me to play along with this old gentleman??” – (notice the condescending attitude metamorphosing into respect and regard – well he was not all that bad a buddhe miya I told myself, put him in the Big ‘B’ category ;) ). Why is it that some days you just let yourself go and throw all caution to the wind? I think sometimes you should do that. Just let your wild side out and let your prudence take a hike without really worrying about the consequences. Well today was one such day I guess, but am I not like that most of the time ..? Hmmm!!! Maybe!!!. What to do? I am like that only!!! … Impulsive, Impetuous and Reckless!!!

10 comments:

Taz Snow said...

Totally felt good to read that! You GO girl!

Anonymous said...

Whats up with u and observing "others" while driving :-)

Well jokes apart..Nice one..!! Its a wonderful read!

Keep Zooooooming...Vroooom vrooooom!

Vandana Sarah said...

[Taz] Thanks girlie :) I am glad Would die to see you "howl and grunt ala Tim Allen in 'Home
Improvement' !" That was a good one!!!
:o)

[Shahan] Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. Glad I could take you down your memory lane too. I know its wrong all the time but whoever gets any thrill doing good things bolo *sheepish grin*

[Salman]
Thankyou very much!!
Well about the "others" I observe, what can I say, beauty around must be admired ( or so I heard a certain someone say)

"Zoom zoom zoom baba" :)

Anonymous said...

Vandu, I read this after a tiring day at work and now I feel refreshed! I'm ready to zoom off again:) Yep reminds me of the time that I used to race with guys in Goa on my bike except that it wasn't fun to be hit in the face by bugs!

dnyanada said...

dearest vandu,
even i agree with u i don't agree with racing with ppl in the traffic, i feel i wud never do it...
the best is ignoring these kinda ppl. it's the best way to beat them, cos what they want is buggin us and they get that Sadistic pleasure in doing so..

Vandana Sarah said...

[Noela] Thanks Noela for dropping in :) And I am glad you liked the post. Oh yeah it's a totally different story zooming on a bike in Goa, the bugs, the pot holes, the narrow roads everything contribute to the pain ;)

[Mars]
Thankyou thankyou !!! That was the intent of the post to transfer the energy on to my readers.. Glad it worked ;)

[Dnyanada]
Ahaa !! Talk about Sadistic pleasure!! :) However this time I took the bait ( and shamelessly enjoyed the race too hehe!!)

Taz Snow said...

okay.....am officially lodging complaint. Fast and Furious has already slowed and rolled to a standstill, and there is still no sign of the next blog! I have no 'good morning' reads!!

Come on Vandu...u can do it!! And u better not plead writer's blog ;o)!

Vandana Sarah said...

[Taz Snow]
Thanks for the encouragement, I really need it right now. If I can steal an hour away from work I will probably post my next one very soon :) Sorry didn't mean to be so silent for such a long time.

Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

Anonymous said...

So long, I hope, that it is the beginning only, and you will plea
- www.blogger.com 7
http://mosquitoringtone1.4x2.net mosquito ringtone
http://freenokiaringtone1.4x2.net free nokia ringtone
http://freeverizonringtone1.4x2.net free verizon ringtone
http://mp3ringtone1.4x2.net mp3 ringtone
http://nokiaringtone1.4x2.net nokia ringtone
http://freemotorolaringtone1.4x2.net free motorola ringtone
http://freemp3ringtone1.4x2.net free mp3 ringtone
http://samsungringtone1.4x2.net samsung ringtone
http://freepolyphonicringtone1.4x2.net free polyphonic ringtone
http://britneyspearsringtone1.4x2.net britney spears ringtone